Monday, April 16, 2012

MVW Sports Special: Real Americans

I haven't had much to say about hockey since my beloved Buffalo Sabres were eliminated from playoff contention. I went through the five stages of grief after the depressing loss to Philly: Anger, Bargaining, Drunkeness, Rage, and Sleep. That said, it seems like getting into the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs is fairly similar to getting chosen to be in the Hunger Games, and there is a good chance only one team will make it out with all of their players alive. While the games have been entertaining, when you don't have a vested interest beyond seeming the teams you hate get eliminated (VAN, BOS, OTT, PIT) it lacks a certain something special. But something special happened yesterday...

 The Rochester Americans, the AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres clinched a playoff spot. This was no easy task, as they were mired in Western Conference log jam and had two must win games this past weekend, both of which they did. While I haven't been anywhere near as vocal about this franchise as I am the Sabres, it holds a place in my heart perhaps even closer than the parent club.

For years, my Grandparents had season tickets, I would tote along as third wheel, and eventually after the passing of my grandfather, I would assume the second seat. I was there at the old War Memorial watching "Mr Amerk" himself, Jody Gage play week after week. But my connection to this franchise goes beyond that of a season ticket holder.

My Father, who worked for the stage hand union, was a part of the rink crew at the War Memorial. When my grandparents didn't have an extra ticket, my father would bring my brother and I and we would be able to watch the game from the Zamboni entrance. When my father passed in November 1999, the Amerks held a tribute to him. Before the game, they turned off the lights and shined a single spotlight on a folding chair. Draped over the back of that chair was my father's rink crew jacket, and leaning against the front of it was his ice brush. The PA announcer told the crowd of my father's passing, then called for a moment of silence. This simple, dignified, and wonderful tribute meant the world to my family, and because of it, the Amerks would always have a place in my heart.

I was as upset as anyone by the ugly divorce between the Amerks and Sabres. I, like many let my interest fade under the affiliation with the Florida Panthers. I remember going to a Sunday afternoon game against the Phantoms a few years ago and honestly being depressed. The game itself was fine, but the crowd was minimal, and seeing large sprawling advertisements where people should be, didn't sit well with me.

When Terry Pegula bought the Buffalo Sabres, the sky was the limit for the imagination of Sabres fans. Everyone had ideas of what he was going to accomplish the second he took the reigns. I had quietly hoped that somehow, someway, he would reunite the Sabres and Amerks. Then this happened...

  
So help me, no matter what else Terry Pegula does as owner of the Sabres, this move will always be my favorite. Watching Rochester boys come up and play in the show this season has been a delight, especially a certain guy by the name Foligno. This past Friday, the Blue Cross Arena held 10,018 people for the Amerks' final home game against the Syracuse Crunch. Sadly, there was no room for giant sprawling advertisements.

The Amerks are back. It's about time.

Good Luck Boys. I'll see you Monday.
Minch 

No comments:

Post a Comment