Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Minch's Summer of Love: Chapter 4






Game Time (I forgot these thematic title cards last chapter, dammit!) 

7:52PM- Why the hell do I always end up showing up to these things so early? What the hell am I supposed to do for the few minutes, sit in my car and be nervous?

7:58 PM- I walked into Starbucks, I went right past the line and picked a seat with an optimal sight line to the door, so I could see when she walked in.

8:00 PM- Okay, here we go. Any second now...

8:07 PM- ...the Hell? Why isn't she here yet? I hope none of these hipsters have noticed I'm sitting here coffee-less and alone. Nah, they're too busy listening to Tom Waits and bitching about how "Invader Zim" sold out.

8:15 PM- I'm going to text her. [Hey Where Ar---INCOMING TEXT] 'Hey where am I' she asks? I'm at the God Damn Starbucks in Greece just like we agreed. Oh no...

8:17 PM- I realized I was at the wrong damn Starbucks...

Three years and some change later I sat towards the front of the bar reliving that nightmare and at about 8:02 PM the thought crossed my mind. Maybe I was at the wrong bar...again! Before I could give this any legitimate thought, my date arrived. We sat at a table and started going over the familiar talking points we had discussed in our back and forth messaging. I remembered she mentioned she didn't like beer, so I had assumed she'd be getting some frozen fruity bullshit drink. The type that had half a pineapple on the rim of the glass. Her order of a Jack and Coke was a pleasant surprise.

Beyond the realm of drink orders, I'm not going to get into specifics of the date. Just know the conversation was flowing well, jokes were hitting, and then I had a surprise cameo.

Joy, the lady who bullied me into suggested I start a blog and her husband Vince were seated in the booth directly behind my date. While this honestly wasn't a big deal, I was trying to remember if I had told her where Date Night was taking place. I even floated the theory this was all a nefarious plot to filter play by play to her daughter/loyal fan Alyssa (Happy Birthday, btw!!!) Honestly I had bigger fish to fry as I had just accidentally sling shot a few drops of my drink onto my date because I was fiddling with my straw...I am an asshole.

My overall grade for the date you ask?

Larry's face isn't selling this well, but I mean this positively.
Date Night 2: Revenge of the Fallen has been discussed but isn't yet on the books. Which is good, because I have a weird history with second dates. The last 3 or 4 second dates have resulted in my date deciding she hates my ass, and stops talking to me midway through. But those stories are for Chapter 5

The Problem With Putting Your Shit On Blast

The sheer volume of questions about my date that I got the following day was unnerving. Mostly because this is the complete opposite of how I used to play this sort of thing. I used to have this weird hang up about online dating, and if I even admitted I was going on a date, I'd lie and say it was a friend of my friend Callie. Now I'm in this bizzaro world where movie house staff ask me how things went (then I politely respond with, none of your God Damn business.) People who I would have never imagined reading this thing are starting to take a look at it.

That said, if this is your first time around, read this classic MvW, Vanek at the Disco

The reason why I've been so secretive in the past is the potential for failure. If I go on a date, tell no one, and it goes hideously, then it's just between me and Jameson Irish Whiskey. With this master plan, it's all out there for the world to see, warts and all. That has been something of an adjustment for me, but honestly, the only way I was going make progress was to drag myself, kicking and screaming.

Hey did you read my latest Pop Tart for Eat Your Serial? No? You son of a B... Well, you should. It came out on Father's Day and it's a look at some great TV dads. Also I think I uncovered the dark truth about Danny Tanner.

 Here's the Link! Give it a read!!!   

Thanks to everyone for continued support. Feel free to share this, or any of your favorite MvW's with your social medialites. The links are below. More News as it comes in.

Thanks,
Minch      

1 comment:

  1. They actually conducted a whole stealth operation to "accidentally" run into you on your date, then sent me Words with Friends messages the whole time. I really hope you have a date planned during my visit next week, so I can "run into" you by chance as well.

    ReplyDelete