Monday, November 12, 2012

Episode 42: Where the hell have you been?


Before addressing the titular question at hand, I would be an absolute jerk (a big handsome jerk) if I didn't begin with a hearty thanks to all the veterans out there. I have many friends who have served (or are serving) as well as an Uncle who was in the Navy. Both of my Grandfathers served, I told a few Grandpa military stories in Episode 20: Inch by Inch We Win With Minch For all of you great folks, I offer this salute.



Okay so I realize it's been a long time since my last blog. Truthfully, I've known what this was going to be about for while, I've just been wrapped up in how I want to address it. You see loyal blog readers, since the last episode, (kind of during the last episode) shit went down. Simply put, the bottom fell out of my living situation and I was forced to move. Don't worry gang, I'm fine and in no foreseeable legal trouble (So the "When Minch Ends Up in Jail Pool" is still very much intact.) This story is not about what happened, as much as it's about what happens next...

So where did you move to?

Dammit, I was hoping you wouldn't ask that. Well, let me begin by telling you about the movie house business. You see, my employment there has done a moderate job of covering the financial bases, even enough to have a little something extra to spend on bourbon and Amerks tickets. Of course, if something shitty pops up (car trouble, parking ticket, birthdays) I find myself on a diet of ramen noodles and frozen pizza. For the past couple of years, I've been walking the fiscal tightrope really well. My car inspection is up in April, when I get my tax money (genius, I know). All things have been in order.

What the movie house doesn't allow its employees to do is save money. So if something MAJOR comes up, like say the previously mentioned "Event X" (oh yeah, I'm going with that as a title) one finds themselves shit outta luck, and without many options. With no extra money saved for a security deposit or enough time to find new digs, I had one option, and I took it. I'm back home.





    








I understand that first and foremost I should be thankful that I have a place to stay after "Event X" and that 98% of my concerns and reservations about this are purely stigma based. I have been more worried about telling this to you guys than I was about the online dating saga, and you guys know how wacky my hangups were with that!

Sometimes life hands you a sucker punch to nuts, and that's what "Event X" was. Now I have two options: let myself bask in the comforts of Fran's house (reduced bills, hot tub room, pool, cable,) and become dormant and lazy, the stereotypical comic book guy living in basement, to whom the attention of a woman comes at the hefty price of $20 and a two drink minimum. A shell of person whose aspirations to one day share his sense of humor to a larger scale audience were crushed under weight of Law and Order SVU reruns and cans of Chef Boyardee. The ultimate example of wasted potential...

Oh hell no.

I will use this to my advantage. I have both a new found ability to save money, and a new closer proximity to the gym. Also, it's time I address who is really to blame for "Event X" The real villain of this story...

The Movie House.

For the hours I work and effort I put, it's a crime that I wasn't able to up and move to my next location immediately. I want the next place I live to be someplace I can't currently afford, like Rochester's hipster district in the South Wedge. Oh man, I could walk to Lux! It'd be great. There's only one way to do that, find a better job. Also, I'm sick of working on Christmas. If I want to get out of that, I better move my ass. Also, I MUST move out by MinchDay 2013: Taking it Down a Notch because if I'm 30 and still at home, well, I might as well embrace the first option.

But for now, here I am, slowly getting used to the fact that Fran and my sister keep the house 10 degrees colder than Mr. Freezes lair in Batman and Robin.


And while no roommate situation is ever a 100% ideal, I could do without my new roommate pissing and shitting in my room.

"HAHAHA, YOU'RE IN MY HOUSE NOW BITCH! PRISON RULES MOTHER F--KER!!!"

So for the time being, this is what "Minch vs the World" is about. It's a comeback story. It's about not just trying to make the best of a bad situation, but making it better than it was before. Perhaps, it's about the long needed wake up call that had to happen in order for me to shake out of my dormant life of unused potential.

...and fart jokes.

Thanks,
Minch

6 comments:

  1. Remember this, when one door closes, another will open.

    We'll all have to go out sometime, and I'll be ya a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, car inspections, I remember those. Thank God Maryland doesn't care and I don't have to worry about that anymore.

    I just did a whole blog post about how much I wish I could still live at home. I'm jealous of my coworkers who do because they are saving so much money, plus their moms cook for them. Seriously. My husband practically has to drag me to the car and tie me down to take me back to Baltimore after Christmas. I think you should move here. More jobs, and my friend is even looking for a roommate! She has a nice house with a little dog that looks like that one in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vince is very upset that he can't comment, so I will comment for him.

    I have often times been on a diet of Ramen and frozen pizza, and let me tell you, there are many websites out there that have "Ramen recipes". Who knew you could turn Ramen into something other than "chicken flavored"?

    I HATE a cold house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word up on cold houses being similar to prison.

      Delete
  4. Sean, I know this can just as easily be said back to me, but quit being a stranger! A bar night would hit the spot.

    While the idea of moving has crossed my mind, it wouldn't be too soon, although I have been hatching a plan for a road show, Maryland may be involved...

    The next thing I do on the internets after this comment is look up Ramen recipes, thank you!

    Can someone tell me how to fix this thing so Vince can comment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're lucky I stalk blogs or I wouldn't have seen these replies. FYI, when you get the email notification there is a comment, click reply, and you can respond directly to that person. If they have it set up, that is. You should do so if you visit Maryland so we can show you where the cool kids hang out.

    ReplyDelete