Saturday, January 21, 2012

Episode 18: The Hipster Scavenger Hunt

I write to you mere hours before heading to “The Zone’s Rover’s Morning Glory Holiday Hangover” featuring  Youngblood (I don’t know them.) Four Year Strong (They cancelled) New Found Glory (The reason I’m going) and Everlast (I was promised we could leave before he goes on.) It’s at the Main Street Armory, which is a pretty good venue. I saw Silversun Pickups (one of my favorite bands) there. It looks like high school gym. A game of dodge ball may breakout at any point. One of my favorite in concert games to play is, “Countdown to Drunk Idiot Getting Tossed by Security.” Don’t get me wrong, as my banner states, I am a social drinker, but I fail to see the logic in getting so shit hammered at a concert that you pass out or pick a fight. But what do I know?

Sports! If you paid any attention to my picks last episode, you’d notice that I was half right. I nailed the AFC match up and bombed the NFC. Now I am hoping we see a Harbaugh Bowl. I say that hoping that at the end, the two get into a brother fight in the middle of the field. You know, plenty of arm punches and headlocks, until Roger Goodell breaks them up and grounds them, (no phones, no internet, no NBC games.)

A friend of mine from high school is a very vocal Niners fan, and this week he put his money where his mouth is. As I type this, he’s en route to San Francisco to go to the game. Lucky bastard scored tickets five rows from the field. He stopped by the movie house last night, and I told him I envied him, (Half for going, half for having a team that made it to the playoffs.) He then told me the tickets were well over $500, to which I responded by vomiting. Still, it’s one of those moments to chalk up to only living once, and you can’t take money with you when you go. That of course will be my mentality when I spend that amount to see the Sabres in a Stanley Cup Final.

Speaking of which, seems like I won’t have to worry about that this year. Have you noticed I haven’t talked about the Sabres much on here? It’s because it brings me no joy. They are on what feels like a million game losing streak, and I haven’t looked at the standings recently, but I believe they are two points behind my brother’s Men’s league team. (Go Beavers!) Four points behind the JV team Dennis coaches. I am at the point where I am no longer angry, but rather sad. I miss being excited for hockey. I will readily admit listening to the first game on the WGR app, and thinking, “This is it! This is the year we’ve been waiting for.”

I could rattle off a million things they could do to fix the team, but let’s face it, I am just a shithook fan. Here’s hoping they can right the ship, (and trade Roy + Stafford, and fire Darcy)

Did you know people still send FWD text messages? I had no idea. I was at breakfast with Mom and Kristin, and they were bitching because they received the same txt like five times a piece. It carried with it the standard bullshit warning of, “send this or you’ll have bad luck.” I thought this had died out years ago. The closest I come to getting this is receiving the, “It’s a holiday so I am going to send the holiday text to everyone in my phonebook” Which is fine, since it doesn’t carry a warning of  “Send this to 43 other people or Santa is going to saw off your fingers.”

And finally, there was a pretty ugly windstorm this past Tuesday in the Greater Rochester area, and it lead to a fun night at the old movie house. I was in food court about to get my shitty dinner, when Maslyn (the other manager on.) called me to tell me a power surge knocked out four of our digital projectors. I’ll spare you the tech talk, and lead to my point, which I posted on BookFace after it happened: You can tell everything you need to know about a person the moment they have been inconvenienced. I have a high threshold. I will speak up if I’m getting a raw deal, but I try to let non lethal inconveniences slide. When some old codger tries to rally me and the other patrons at the bank against the tellers because there are going too slow, I don’t bite. Working at a movie house that cuts payroll like a butcher cuts pork chops, I have been on the other side of that coin.

Others read from the playbook titled, “Minor Inconveniences = Free Shit For Me.” We were going to give free passes to everyone to start, because that’s the right thing to do, but of course there are those who also want refunds on food (because once the movie stops, the concessions turn to sand: FACT) and also want cash refunds because, “We ruined their night” Hey buddy, my night isn’t going so hot either. Though I weep for you that your life is so fragile that an entire evening was hinging on watching a film. I’m not going to let customers who have been wronged go away empty handed, but don’t take advantage. I guess the take away message here is, Don’t be a dick.

That’s it for this one gang, feel free to like this on PageFace, or EVEN BETTER, share it on yours by clicking the little F below. Here’s a line you can copy and paste to fill in the little box when you go to share it.

Hey this is my cool friend Minch’s awesome blog for people who are sexy and cool. You should read, and you too can be sexy and cool.

Thanks!
Minch       

No comments:

Post a Comment