Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Episode 5: My Gift is My Blog and this One’s for You.

Hey gang, yesterday was everything I wanted it to be. Clearly someone is reading this thing, as somebody tipped off my mom that not only was I coming to her bowling league, but I was looking to score free beer and pizza. For those of you who enjoy continuity, I went with chicken fingers instead…

Yesterday the hockey world was a buzz about the return of Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Ok, here’s the thing, I am not so much of a homer that I won’t acknowledge the guy’s extraordinary talent. That being said, I have always considered him to be the arch rival to Buffalo’s Ryan Miller. If you think about it, that rivalry makes far more sense than this forced overly marketed Ovechkin/Crosby rivalry. Truthfully, Crosby has bested Miller on some very high profile occasions: Both the first Winter Classic, and (guard your heart) the Gold medal game in the last Winter Olympics. I have no doubt Millsy will have opportunities to balance the scales. I find it a teensy bit suspicious that his first game back was not only a home game, but against the Islanders-the worst team on Earth. All the same, welcome back Sid, good game last night, now kindly go eat shit. I’m sure the NHL will be just as excited when Smoking Jochen Hecht comes back.

Let me run this by you guys, do you have any friends that you only ever interact with on Facebook, and on the occasion you do see them you think, “oh hey, it’s that guy from the internet!” It’s almost like they are an F-list mini celebrity. It usually subsides after a couple of minutes then you realize, “eh, it’s just Bruce.”

Maslyn and I were having one of our Boston Legal epilogue conversations (every episode ended with James Spader and William Shatner discussing the events of the episode while drinking scotch and smoking cigars. We didn’t have scotch or cigars, and it was over the phone) when Maz said to me that I put too much effort into my Facebook page. He’s right, but here’s why…

Throughout my time in school, I always had a project to work on that stimulated me creatively. There was Fat Guy Friday, where Dave Evers and I ripped off everything we ever saw on Late Night with Conan O’Brien. Then came WMCC’s Minch and Topeck show. In Brockport, I did The Mike Minch Movie Minute. Also, I took a course called Live TV. We did one hour long live shows on cable access. While there are some very close seconds, this class was the best experience I had academically in college. Professor Carvin Eisen taught us to swim by throwing us in the lake, and I have three hours of live television, one of which includes an interview with Senator Joe Robach, that I am very proud of.

Now that I have graduated, there are no projects. Sure there was the thirty seconds I was “Marketing Manager” at the theater, and I still hold on to that title with the ferocity of an Assistant (to the) Regional Manager, but it was never the same.

Everyone has their own use for Facebook. Some connect with old friends. Some use it to keep in touch with those far away. Some use it as springboard to score dates. I use it, (as well as this, and my twitter) as means to write. I don’t know if I’ll ever find that job that satisfies me creatively, shit I hope so, but in the meantime, I’ll ask Questions of the Day, answer your questions during Ask Minch, and most importantly if the planets are aligned correctly, I’ll drunkenly respond to you liking my post.

Minch   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment