Friday, December 16, 2011

Episode 11: A Game of Shadows

Hello friends! It’s been a busy week, and it’s only getting busier. I wanted to make sure I hammered one of these bad boys out for you so you have a little something to kick off the weekend right. This weekend I am attending Dennis and Ashley’s annual Ugly Sweater party. While I am wearing the same ugly ass sweater I’ve worn every year, I have a few accessories that will be the hit of the party. And my gift for the grab bag? Oh I wont tell you now, all I will say is: I win.  It isn’t even a competition but God Dammit, I win. Fortunately, I have the next day off so we get to skip the annual, “Minch shows up to work hungover as all holy hell Day.” Instead, I get to watch the Bills…oh wait, Dammit!!!

I spent my days off this week Christmas shopping. Unlike previous years, I was not met with my usual swell of frustration, leading to me internally scream, “SCREW IT!!!! THEY ARE GETTING THIS OR THEY CAN PISS OFF!” Rather, save for a few cop outs, I feel really proud of my gifts this year. I like giving gifts that will actually get some mileage. For example, last year I got the BossMan a Bills tie. (NOTE: The previous year, he and I weren’t on great terms so I got him a Page-A-Day “How To Deal with Stress” calendar. Ain’t I a stinker?!?!) Anyways, once the season started and the Bills were doing fairly well, he wore the damn thing everyday. Granted, after their plummeting, he has retired it and begun wearing the Christmas ties, but still, it’s nice to see your gift get actual real world use. I strived for that this year. The only person left to buy for is, yup you guessed it, Fran. I have a plan in place, so for the first time in forever, I’ll be done shopping early. It’s sort of ironic, I put up my fake Christmas tree for the first time in a while, and got shopping done early, and yet it feels like the least Christmasy December in recent memory…

Today, I went to go see the Sherlock Holmes sequel, hence the title of Episode 11. This has been a fairly excellent franchise, and one that I never really had a great deal of excitement for. That was until I saw the first one. At first, I thought casting Robert Downey Jr in the title role seemed like a bit of “strike while the iron is hot” stunt casting, but no, he has made this his role. It also introduces Holmes’ arch enemy Professor Moriarty. I always found it interesting that he was a professor. Could you imagine one of your professors being a super genius criminal? Lord knows I can. I’m not naming names, but only a super genius up to no good would allow me to broadcast the “Mike Minch Movie Minute.”

Fun Fact: I have always been drawn to villains in movies. Even as a kid, I was pissed off when Jafar got tricked by Aladdin. The guy had the game won!!! He was Sultan, and the most powerful Sorcerer in the universe. He had to take it one step farther like a jackass!!! Still pisses me off. I think its because, to be the hero is a bit vanilla. Take Superman, Lex Luthor (not the movie versions) is way more fun and ambitious. Plus occasionally, a worse villain shows up and you get to be the hero alongside your arch enemy. At least with this Sherlock Holmes franchise, Holmes is a bit of a genius, train wreck, hero/anti hero. I suppose I can relate to that. I guess what I’m saying is, I need an arch enemy…

So I’m sure you noticed the new colors. Slowly but surely I am learning to do new things with this blog. My hope is to have some pictures up soon, so you can see my handsome mug. I also just learned how to check the traffic here, and as previously stated on BookFace, there is an almost alarming amount of traffic coming from Russia. So welcome my Russian comrades, enjoy reading while sipping your vodka, and I will try to keep my criticisms of Ovechkin to a minimum.

Time to get ready for work. As always, thanks for reading. Please leave comments, like this on FacePage, and share this link on your FaceBook so all your friends can enjoy! Have a great weekend.

Minch

No comments:

Post a Comment